Information for gamescom exhibitors
As the official youth protection partner of Koelnmesse GmbH, the Entertainment Software Self-Regulation Body (USK) has been comprehensively commissioned to oversee youth protection at gamescom. This includes the age rating of all content (all platforms, including mobile apps, browser games, portals, trailers, game-based stage programs, etc.). In addition, the USK is the first point of contact for all gamescom exhibitors when it comes to the topic of youth protection, whether in the run-up to or during the trade fair itself.
As an exhibitor, you are fully responsible for ensuring that your stand and presentations comply with the requirements of the German Youth Protection Act (JuSchG). Compliance will be monitored by the regulatory authorities on all days of the fair. To ensure consistent and uniform implementation, Koelnmesse has joined forces with the USK to draw up the regulations described below. These are relevant for gamescom exhibitors in the Entertainment Area. At the entrance, the organizer (Koelnmesse) will provide visitors with non-removable wristbands analogous to the colors of the USK 12 / 16 / 18 stickers according to their photo ID/medical card with photo to proof the age, which will assist booth personnel with age checks. Parental privilege does not apply on the fairgrounds.
- Deadline is 8.8.2023 3.00 p.m.
- Find more details about the rating procedure and the application form here
- Find thefee schedule here
- First-time submitters must expect to pay in advance before the rating process starts
- IARC labels are only valid within storefronts and not at trade shows
- Content with USK 0 / 6 / 12 may be presented publicly
- Content with USK 16 / 18 or no labeling may only be shown behind closed doors or visitor controlled
- Turning monitors away from the public crowd, access control, privacy screens are possible
- Each game station must be clearly marked with the correct USK sticker, either individually or as a row (either min. 3.5*3.5 cm individually or min. 20*20cm for a row)
- The USK does not provide stickers and does not have any on site
- Multiple trailers running in endless loops at one location can be submitted as one trailer reel with one application only
- Streamers and booths with game-oriented live programs please send a 15-minute "fake presentation" in advance, which then serves as the basis for the rating
- Indie arenas, schools or universities with multiple games, coop booths and country pavilions will receive a USK rating for the entire booth with one application ( details )
The responsible authority will increasingly monitor compliance with the Youth Protection Act on site and initiate appropriate legal measures in the event of violations. In the event of violations, there is the threat - in addition to the closure of the booth - of fines in considerable amounts. To prevent the latter, the USK is also available to provide advice and assistance on any questions, problems and uncertainties relating to the protection of minors.
For all questions concerning the protection of minors, including stand construction, advertising, gimmicks, shows, merchandise and cooperations, please contact us at email@example.com